Thailand, officially the Kingdom of Thailand and formerly known as Siam, is a country located in the center of the Indochina peninsula, a peninsula in Southeast Asia. Let's find out together what to see in Thailand and the places not to be missed.
This beautiful country is bordered to the north by the Burma and Laos, to the east with Laos and the Cambodia, to the south with the Gulf of Thailand and Malaysia, to the west it is bathed by the Andaman Sea and at the southern end it borders Burma. Its maritime borders are Vietnam, in the Gulf of Thailand to the southeast, and theIndonesia andIndia in the Andaman Sea to the southwest.
Thailand is not a country that can be easily summed up in a few words, every trip or vacation offers very different experiences and sensations. The country is constantly evolving and the different areas of Thailand cater to the different tastes of tourists, from backpackers looking for a great adventure, to tourists who want to relax and not worry about a thing while on vacation.
Thailand has earned the fame of meta backpacking, and today it is above all a place that attracts mass tourism. Indeed, today the country is one of the top 10 most visited countries in the world. If you are looking for “hidden gems”, there are very few unknown places, but if you are looking for something fun, reliable, a little crazy then this is the destination for you.
Everyone when planning a trip or vacation to Thailand wants to go and visit Koh Phi Phi, the island made famous by the movie The Beach, participate in the Full Moon Party, or experience the madness of Khao San Road a Bangkokbut Thailand is much more than that.
All the movements are easily organized: here you can organize excursions or transport to your hotel or hostel, using the small local travel agents at any time. Thailand is one of the safest destinations in the world, probably safer than many cities.
Thailand is also perfect for solo travel, with low cost hostels or hotels also ideal for meeting new people. If you've never traveled alone, but want to give it a try, Thailand is a great place to start.
Surely the country is preparing to establish itself even more as one of the main destinations for travel and holidays in Asia and the world thanks to low cost prices of hotels, lodges, restaurants and unrivaled scenic beauty.
What to see in Thailand
The most important cities to visit
- Bangkok - the bustling and bustling capital of Thailand, known among Thais as Krung Thep
- Phuket - Thailand's largest island and its main beach destination. It is home to wild nature and a wild nightlife, but also temples, markets and unique architecture
- Chiang Rai - gateway to the Golden Triangle, ethnic minorities and mountain trekking
- Ayutthaya - a historic city, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the ancient capital of Siam
- Chiang Mai - in fact the capital of Northern Thailand and the heart of Lanna culture
- Kanchanaburi - home to the bridge over the River Kwai and several WWII museums
- Nakhon Ratchasima - the largest city in the Isaan region
- Chumphon - gateway to the Chumphon Archipelago, pristine beaches on the island of Pathio & Ko Tao
- Surat Thani - seat of the Srivijaya Empire, gateway to Ko Samui
- Pattaya - a major tourist destination, known for its nightlife
- S - first capital of Thailand with amazing ruins
- Ko chang - once a quiet island, now undergoing major tourism development
- Ko lipe - small island in the heart of the Tarutao National Park, surprisingly unspoiled with large coral reefs and beautiful beaches
- Khao Yai National Park - you can go on a night safari on a 4 × 4 or visit its spectacular waterfalls
- Ko Pha Ngan - home to the famous Full Moon Party with miles of quiet coastline
- Ko samet - the closest island from Bangkok
- There is Sot - located on the border, it is a thriving multicultural city, with lots of national parks to explore in the surrounding area
- Ko Samui - comfort, nature, fun and hippie hangout
- Koh Tao - known for its diving and nature, easily accessible from Chumphon by high speed catamaran
- Mae Sariang - characteristic town between the Burmese and Thai borders and Salween National Park
- Khao Lak - gateway to the Similan Islands, severely hit by the 2004 tsunami, but returned even more vibrant
- Khao Sok National Park - one of the most beautiful nature reserves in Thailand
- Krabi Province - famous for beaches and water sports, includes Ao Nang, Rai Leh, Ko Phi Phi and Koh Lanta
- Khon Kaen - in the heart of Esaan (Isan), it is known for the various silk production and processing sites
You may also be interested:
- Where to stay in Thailand, the best areas
- Travel by ferry between the most beautiful islands of Thailand
- Hidden places, strange attractions and unusual things of Thailand
- The 10 best islands in Thailand
- Central Thailand: what to see and visit in the cultural heart of the country