And well yes, the dream of all travelers, around the world, it can be done and you have even more than “80 days” to complete your adventure.
The journey of your life is possible thanks to the plane ticket Round The World (RTW), with which you can visit all the places you have always dreamed of.
What is a Round The World ticket?
It is nothing more than a flight ticket in stages: just choose the destinations and then the countries you want to visit during the trip, the dates, respect some fundamental rules and that's it.
ll Round the World Ticket it is issued by the alliance of the main airlines and allows you to travel with all the companies in the group.
Here are the 3 most famous alliances:
- Star Alliance Round the World Fare: Air Canada, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Thai Airways International, United Airlines;
- One World: American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, JAL Japan Airlines, LAN, Malév Hungarian Airlines, Mexicana, Qantas, Royal Jordanian Airlines, S7 Airlines;
- SkyTeam Round the World: Aeroflot, Aeromexico, Air Europa, Air France, Alitalia, China Eastern, China Southern, Czech Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Kenya Airways, KLM, Korean Air, Tarom, Vietnam Airlines;
Each of these will allow you to fly with their own companies, but since a company can only be part of one Alliance, there will be continents better covered by one alliance than another.
How long does it take to travel around the world
Usually a ticket RTW it takes at least 10 days, but for a self-respecting world tour it takes at least 2 months. Then if you have a chance to take it a gap year it would be the maximum, also because this is the maximum duration of the RTW ticket.
Is it worth buying a Round The World ticket?
If you want to travel around the world and have time at your disposal the biglietto Round The World it is the most convenient way.
If you are good and lucky you can also spend 1.500 Euros, nonsense to see the whole world !!
How to find the cheapest Round The World?
- The price varies a lot according to the period in which you leave, the number of stopovers you want to make and the number of miles traveled.
- The city of departure also affects the price, for example leaving London costs less than Rome or Milan.
- The larger the airport from which you take off or where you land, the cheaper the ticket will cost.
- The most classic and economical RTW provides some large cities like Londra, Bangkok, Singapore, Sydney e Los Angeles. For less traveled routes you will be able to find even cheaper tickets.
- Remember that you are not obliged to always travel by plane, therefore indicate in the estimate phase, if there are any stages of the journey that you would like to travel by land or sea. Many flight fares include the possibility of some sections on the surface (usually indicated with the terms surface, overland, land or by land).
- You can also consider low cost flights outside the RTW always to save miles.
- Airport taxes increase with more stops, if you can, avoid all of Europe where taxes are higher.
- If budget is a problem you can choose cheaper countries, but I advise you to consider destinations that would be prohibitive with a normal flight due to the too high costs. Eg Easter Island or Fiji Islands that with a normal ticket would cost a blunder, while if you add them to your world tour you will save a lot.
Where to Buy Roud The World
You can purchase your super ticket through the networks listed above (by clicking on the names of the Alliances you will be linked to their sites).
There are also specialized agencies around the world.
General Rules and Conditions of the RTW
- Maximum limit of routes per ticket: usually 15/16
- Mileage limit: from a minimum of 26.000 to 40.000
- Ticket validity: 1 year
- The last flight of the ticket must return to the country of departure (even a different city)
- You can choose the starting direction East or West, but you cannot change direction during the world tour, always to the East or to the West.
- The itinerary must be defined when purchasing the ticket. Remember that you can change the flight dates at no cost even during the trip, but to change a stopover you will be charged a penalty.
- Basic: if you cancel or skip a leg of the journey, the entire ticket is canceled. So decide your itinerary well.
I wanted to write this post to list the rules and tips to better organize your world tour, I still haven't been able to do it but soon I will!
If any of you have been lucky enough to have this exciting experience, I would be very happy to receive comments and maybe share your experiences on the world !!!
Finally, I suggest you have fun simulating your trip around the world through the sites of the three alliances. This way you will understand even better how this ticket works.